Committed to bringing the excitement of scientific discovery to students, preserving history, fostering technological innovation, and promoting awareness of the effects and impact of engineering on humanity, the IEEE Foundation is accepting applications for new projects in the areas of the history of technology and education. Examples in these areas include:
- History of Education: Projects that increase awareness of the influence and impact of early technology in the present and future with the general populace. Projects primarily focused on preserving or studying the history of technology will also be accepted, but must include plans for the dissemination of results.
- Education: Projects enhancing and expanding science, engineering and technology educational opportunities for early to mid-career professionals and students of all ages, positively impacting workforce development and IEEE involvement.
Eligible applicants must be 501(c)(3) tax exempt. Last year, the Foundation awarded a total of $516,000 to 29 projects. Complete information can be found at the Foundation’s Grants Web Page. The deadline for applications is August 1.
National nonprofit KaBOOM! is once again offering grants to nonprofits and municipalities serving children of playground age to build a custom-made playground in a single day. Selected community groups will work with a KaBOOM! project manager, who will coordinate material and equipment purchases. Applicants must in turn:
- Contribute $8,500 towards the cost of equipment;
- Complete site preparation on at least 2,500 square feet of flat, dirt surface, including utility checks, soil tests, and appropriate build permits, in a timely manner;
- Recruit 75-100 community volunteers to participate in playground building;
- Own, possess a long-term lease, and/or possess landowner permission to construct a playground; and
- Accept all insurance, maintenance, and ownership responsibilities for the space upon project completion.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and are based on available area funding. For complete information, application materials and an FAQ, see the Build it with KaBOOM! Playground Grant Web page.